33rd Entry Roll of Honour - World War Two
Directions to Cemeteries
We are indebted to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for the detailed directions to the various cemeteries in which our colleagues are buried, and to the memorials on which the names of those with no known grave are inscribed. Also for the historical notes; all of which is to be found in the relevant pages of the CWGC website atwww.cwgc.org
To make for easy reference countries, cemeteries and memorials are listed alphabetically.
Adegem Canadian War Cemetery.The cemetery is located midway between Brugge (17km) and Gent (26 km) on the N9, which connects the two towns. From Brugge, Adegem is approached via Sijsele and Maldegem. On reaching Adegem the cemetery is to be found on the Prins Boudewijniaan on the right hand side of the N9.
Historical Notes.The majority of the men buried at Adegem died during the operations for the clearing of the south bank of the Schelde; but many Canadians who lost their lives elsewhere in Belgium were also brought here for burial. A number of isolated graves from various cemeteries and churchyards in Belgium have now been concentrated into this cemetery. There are a small number of 1914- 18 and over 1000 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in the cemetery. Of these over 40 from the 1939-45 War are unidentified.
Florennes Communal Cemetery, Namur.The Cemetery is located 22km southeast of Charleroi on a road leading from the N5 which connects Char leroi to Phillipville. 16 km after leaving Charleroi leave the N5 at Annevoie. Turn left towards Mettet. After 5 km at Moriaime turn right onto the rue de Chatelet. Florennes is 5km along this road. The cemetery is found in the town from the Place Verte. The first left turning onto the rue de Boukay, followed by the first right turning onto the rue Baudry, which leads for 50 metres to the Cemetery
Historical Notes.A special plot in the northeastern portion of the cemetery contains the graves of airmen brought down in the vicinity o f the airfield which the Germans built in the commune of Florennes and its neighbouring commune Rosee.
Rangoon War Cemetery, Myanmar.The cemetery is situated between Myienegonne and Manthawaddy roundabout (close to the circle) and at the back of the Burma Translation Society (Sarbaybeikman). The entrance to the cemetery is down a lane facing east along PYI road (formerly Prome Road) some 8 kilometres from the port, 12 kilometres from the airport and 5 kilometres from the main railway station. There are no road direction signs to the cemetery, but Monasteries surround the cemetery on three sides.
Historical Notes.The CWGC gives no historical notes for this cemetery
Barrie Union CemeteryNo directions or historical data given by the CWGC.
Aabenraa Cemetery.Aabenraa is a town on the southeast Jutland coast about 25 kms north of the German border. Approaching the town from the E45 motorway, turn right at the traffic lights signposted Aabenraa S into Vestvejen. Descend the hill to the next traffic lights and turn left again into Forstalle. The entrance to the cemetery is 150 metres along on the left side. From the main entrance follow the central path to the 6th intersection. The World War Two plot is approximately 40 metres to the left, the Cross being easily visible on the approach to the junction.
Historical NotesAlthough in Denmark there was no campaign of the 1939-45 War involving British Commonwealth land forces, nevertheless th ere are nearly one thousand British Commonwealth war graves in more than one hundred cemeteries from the northernmost tip of the country to the German border, and on the outlying islands. They are with few exceptions the graves of airmen who were shot dow n or crashed in Denmark, or near its shores. German forces occupied Denmark on 9th April, 1940, and the first British air raid over the country, on Aalborg airfield, came on the 21st April, 1940. From then on, British aircraft were f requently seen in Danish skies. Three raids are perhaps of particular interest; those on the three Gestapo headquarters set up in Denmark. The first of these, on buildings of the University at Aarhus, was made on 31st October 1944; the German G estapo staff were killed and their records destroyed. On 21st March, 1945, the Gestapo headquarters in the Shell building in Copenhagen was attacked, again successfully, but with the loss of several British aircraft and, inevitably, of a number of Danish lives. Finally, on the 17th April, 1945, came the turn of the Gestapo headquarters at Odense: another successful raid, fortunately with only a few Danish casualties. These three raids destroyed Gestapo files containing lists of Danis h resistance workers and saboteurs and the evidence against them, thus probably saving many from death.
Alamein Memorial.The Alamein Memorial forms the entrance to the El Alamein War Cemetery. Alamein is a village, bypassed by the main coast r oad, approximately 130 kilometres west of Alexandria on the road to Mersa Matruh. The first Commission road direction sign is located just beyond the Alamein police checkpoint and all cemetery visitors should turn off from the main road onto the parallel old coast road. The cemetery lies off the road beyond the ridge, and road direction signs are in place approximately 25 metres before the low metal gates and stone wing walls which are situated centrally at the road edge at the head of the access path int o the cemetery. The Cross of Sacrifice feature may be seen from the road. Within the southeastern part of the cemetery will be found the Alamein Cremation Memorial.
Historical NotesThe Alamein Air Forces panels commemorate the airmen of the Commonwealth who fell in campaigns in Egypt, Libya, Syria, L ebanon, Iraq, Greece, Crete and the Aegean, Ethiopia, Eritrea and the Somalilands, the Sudan, East Africa, Aden and Madagascar and who have no known grave. Those who served with the Rhodesian and South African Air Training Schemes and have no known grave are also honoured here. The Alamein Memorial commemorates nearly 12,000 Second World War casualties.
Bolbec Communal Cemetery.No directions given by the CWGC.
Historical Notes.There are 10 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery. A stone memorial to six airmen, who formed one crew, was erected by the local authorities in the centre of their collective grave.
Calais Southern Cemetery.Calais Southern Cemetery is a civil cemetery lying on the south side of the main road to Dunkerque. Follow the A16 autoroute from Calais to Dunkirk. Come off at Junction 19 in the direction of Merck and follow the road to the junction. Turn left into Calais at the junction and follow the road for approximately 3 kilometres. The Communal Cemetery is on the left han d side of the road, 50 metres after the traffic lights. To find the Commonwealth War Graves, proceed along the main pathway to the rear left hand side of the cemetery.
Historical Notes.The earliest British War Graves in Calais were three graves (16 and 20th October, 1914 and 22nd F ebruary, 1915) in the northern cemetery. From May, 1915, British burials took place in the Southern Cemetery. There are now nearly 950, 1914-18, and over 200, 1939-45, war casualties in this cemetery.
Laon (St. Just) Communal Cemetery.Laon, situated on an isolated hill, is the chief town and the seat of the Prefecture of the Department of the Aisne. St. Just Cemetery is on the northern side of the town just below the Rampart St. Just
Historical Notes.The graves of nine airmen who fell during the 1939-45 war are at the bottom of the slope, near the western corner of th e cemetery. Seven of them belong to the Royal Air force and one each to the Royal Canadian and Royal New Zealand Air Forces.
Neuvilly Communal Cemetery and Extension.Neuvilly is a small village 6 kilometres north north west of Le Cateau on the road to Valencien nes (D955). The Communal Cemetery and Extension are on the north side of the main road (955).
Historical Notes.The CWGC gives no historical details for this cemetery .
Souge-Sur-Brave Communal Cemetery.Souge-sur-Brave is a village 49 kilometres northwest of Blois and 24 kilometres west of the town of Vendome. The cemetery is east of the village about 100 metres from the church on the D.917 road to Montoire and Vendome. The four British airmen's graves are south of the entrance against the rear wall.
Historical Notes.The CWGC gives no historical details for this cemetery.
St. Sever Cemetery Extension.St. Sever Cemetery and Extension is situated about 3 kilometres south of Rouen Cathedral and a short distan ce west of the road from Rouen to Elbeuf. Coming from Elbeuf/Caen on the N.138 follow Avenue Des Canadiens right down to the roundabout. Take the fourth exit into Rue Stanilas De Jardin and the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. St. Sever is part of Le Petit Quevilly. The first CWGC signpost is at the entrance of the cemetery.
Historical Notes.There are now over 8,500, 1914-18 and 300, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery. The cemetery covers an area of 49,885 square metres. The War Stone is on the boundary of the original Cemetery and the Extension, facing the City of Rouen War Memorial. The Cross is raised on a terrace on the further side of the Extension. The Chapel and cruciform surmounted b y a dome is in the middle of the Extension.
Roye New British Cemetery.Roye is a commune in the Department of the Somme 40 kilometres southeast of Amiens. From Peron ne take the N17 to Roye. On arriving in Roye stay on the N17 and at the second roundabout take the D934 towards Noyon.. Roye New British Cemetery will be found about 230 metres on the right along this road.
Historical Notes.Roye was in German hands from the 30th August, 1914, until the French retook it on 17th March, 1917. On the 26th March, 1918, the Germans recaptured it; but on the following 26th August they evacuated the town, which was entered on the 27th by the French First Army. It was very severely damaged. Roye Old British Cemetery was 1.6 kilometres south of the town. It was made in March, 1918, by the 53rd Casualty Clearing Station, but there was little time to mark the graves before the town was captured by the Germans, who extended it for the burial of their own dead. In 1920 the British graves were removed to Roye New British Cemetery, made after the Armistice by the concentration of graves, almost all from 1918, from the battlefields and from other burial grounds. There are now over 600 1914-18 and 45 1939- 45 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery.
Becklingen War Cemetery. This cemetery is 13 kilometres southeast of Soltau on the west side of the road from Hamburg to Hanover. From Hanover travel north in the direction of Hamburg on the Autoroute No.7 for 80 kilometres until the junction with Soltau Sud; this is the junction of the A7 with the B3 Hanover to Hamburg road. On le aving the A7 at Soltau Sud follow the B3 in the direction of Celle and Bergen. The cemetery is on the right hand side of the road, 7 kilometres from the motorway junction.
Historical Notes.Soltau, a small provincial town about 76 kilometres north of Hanover, adjoins Luneburg Heath. The infamous concentratio n camp of Belsen lies about 14 kilometres to the south. Becklingen is a commune about 17 kilometres south of Soltau. The site was chosen for its position on a hillside overlooking Luneburg Heath where the German surrender took place. To this final resting place were transferred soldiers, sailors and airmen from isolated graves in the countryside, small German cemeteries and prisoner of war camps cemeteries, within a radius of about 50 miles. The majority of the graves are those of soldiers who gave their lives during the last two months of the war. The graves total 2,404.
Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery.The cemetery is in the district of Charlottenburg, 8 kilometres west of the city centre, on the south side of the Heerstrasse. From Theodor Heuss Platz in the district of Charlottenburg, near the exhibition hall complex and next to the Olympic Stadium, follow signs for Spandau, proceeding along the Heerstrasse. The cemetery lies on the Heerstrasse on the left hand side of the road and 3 kilometres from Theodor Heuss Platz. Visitors should drive beyond the cemetery to the traffic lights, then turn left directly onto a small one way road running parallel to the Heerstrasse. The cemetery entrance is on this smal l one way road.
Historical Notes.The site of the Berlin 1939-45 War Cemetery was selected by the British Occupation Authorities and Commission officials jointly in 1945, soon after hostilities ceased. The great majority of those buried here, approximately 80 per cent of the total, were airmen who lost their lives in the air raids over Berlin and the towns in Eastern Germany. The remainder were men who di ed in prisoner-of -war camps in these regions; some were victims of the notorious forced marches into Germany from camps in Poland, in front of the advancing Russians. There are also some non war graves of men of the British Occupation Forces, members of the Control Commission,. and their dependents. Special memorials commemorate men known to be buried in certain groups of graves in the cemetery, but whose graves within these groups cannot be individually identified. They bear the superscription "Buried n ear this spot".
Durnbach War Cemetery.Durnbach is a village 16 kilometres east of Bad Tolz, a town 48 kilometres south of Munich. Durnbach War Cemetery is 3 kilometres north of the village Gmund am Tegernsee. Using the A8 from Munich, turn off at the junction Holzkirchen, taking the 318 road in the direction of Gmund am Tegernsee. At the crossroads with the 427, turn left into Miesbach. The cemetery is s ituated approximately 500 metres on the left from the 318/427 crossroads.
Historical Notes.The site for the cemetery was chosen, shortly after hostilities had ceased, by officers of the British Army and Air For ce, in conjunction with officers of the American Occupation Forces in whose zone Durnbach lies. The majority of those buried here are airmen shot down over Bavaria, Wurtemberg, Austria, Hessen and Thuringia, brought from scattered graves by the Army Grave s Service. One of the graves in the cemetery contains the ashes of an unknown number of unidentified war casualties recovered from Flossnburg.
Hamburg Cemetery.Approaching from Hannover or Kiel, leave the Autoroute A7 at the junction with the 432 following signposts for the Airp ort (Flughafen). After 2 kilometres turn right onto Swebenweg which later merges with Krohnstieg and passes under the airport runway. After 4 kilometres turn right onto 433 Chausse. After 2 kilometres turn left onto Erdkampsweg following signs for Barmbek . Continue along this road for 1.7 kilometres then turn right, immediately before a prominent railway bridge, onto a road called I M Grunen Grund. After a further 600 metres turn left into Alsterdorfer. The cemetery is located in this road at the junction with Fuhlsbuttlerstrasse. The Commission plot is signposted in the cemetery and is located 300 metres from the Chapel. Visitors should note that this cemetery is restricted to normal opening hours.
Historical Notes.The historical data given in the CWGC's web site indicates that most of the graves in this cemetery are of Commonwealth soldiers, sailors and marines from the 1914-18 war. No mention is made of those buried here who lost their lives in the 1939-45 war.
Hanover War Cemetery.From the motorway A2/e34, which runs between Dortmund and Berlin, turn off at Junction 40 onto the 441 in the direc tion of Hanover, Ahlem and Seeize. After 7 kilometres turn right at the sign for Harrenberg, along Seelzestrasse, and continue through Harrenberg to the T junction and then turn left towards Hanover. Hanover War Cemetery and Hanover Military Cemetery are on the left of this road, 3 kilometres from the boundary of Harrenberg.
Historical Notes.No historical details are given by the CWGC.
Kiel War CemeteryKiel lies 83 kilometres north of Hamburg. From Hamburg visitors should travel north on the Autoroute 7, following signs for Kiel. Leave the A7 at the junction with the A215, still following signs for Kiel. The A215 ends on the outskirts of Kiel. Turn left at the end of the A215 onto the Westring following signs for Olympiaplazentrum and Flensburg. After 4 kilometres, the Nord Freedhof town cemetery will be seen on the left hand side of the road.
Historical Notes.No historical details are given by the CWGC.
Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.The cemetery is 5 kilometres south-west of Kleve. From Kleve take the Hoffmannallee from the town centre, which becomes the Materbornerallee. This road enters Reichswald Forest and becomes the Grunewaldstrasse. Follow the directions for Gennep, and on entering Reichswald Forest the cemetery is situated 500 metres on the left.
Historical Notes.No historical details are given by the CWGC.
Sage War Cemetery.Sage is a village 24 kilometres south of Oldenburg, a town 43 kilometres west of Bremen and 28 kilometres north of the main road from Bremen to Holland. The cemetery lies 2 kilometres south of the village on the west side of the road to Osnabruck.. From the A1 Bremen/Munster motorway visitors should leave at the Wildeshousen Nord junction and take the 213 following signs for Alhorn and Oldenburg. After 8 kilometres, and immediately after the village of Alhorn, turn right at the roundabout and follow signs for Oldenburg along the Oldenburgerstrasse. The cemetery lies on the left hand side of the road 4 kilometres from Alh oorn.
Historical Notes.There are over 950 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery. Of these over 150 are unidentified.
Ambon War Cemetery . Ambon island lies close to the southwest coast of Ceram in the Molucca Group of islands. It is reached by air from Jakarta with connecting flights at Ujung Pandang in Sulawesi (Celebes). Ambon War Cemetery (known locally as the Australian Cemetery) is on the opposite side of the bay to the airport. It can be reached by taxi travelling around the bay to Ambon town, or there is a ferry service across the bay which brings you to Ambon town. The cemetery is 5 kilometres northeast of Ambon on the main road to Galala.
Historical Notes.The town of Ambon, situated on Laitimor Peninsular on the southern shore of Ambon
Yokohama War Cemetery.This cemetery is 9 kilometres west of the city on Yuenchi-Dori, Hodogaya Ward, which branches left off the old Tokkai do highway. The nearest railway station is Hodogaya, 5 kilometres to the north on the JNR line, but the cemetery is easily reached by bus from Yokohama station. Within the cemetery will be found the Yokohama Memorial and the Yokohama Cremation Memorial. < /P>
Historical Notes.The cemetery was constructed by the Australian War Graves Group. It comprises of four main parts; the United Kingdom se ction, the Australian section, the Canadian and New Zealand section and the Indian Forces 1939-45 section. A Cross of Sacrifice stands in each of the first three sections. Instead of a Cross, a specially designed monument in the form of a pylon with four faces dominates the plots in the fourth section. This is inscribed on two faces "Indian Forces 1939-1945, with "India" on one side and "Pakistan" on the other. In this cemetery stands the Yokohama Cremation Memorial. This is a beautifully designed shrine which houses an urn containing the ashes of 355 soldiers, sailors and airmen of the British Commonwealth, the United States of America and the Kingdom of the Netherlands who died as prisoners of war in Japan. Their names (save for 51 who could not be iden tified) are inscribed on the walls of the shrine, and the names of the British Commonwealth dead are given in the Yokohama Cremation Memorial register.
Ramleh War Cemetery.Ramla (formerly Ramleh) is a small town 12 kilometres southeast of Jaffa. From Tel-Aviv, proceed along Route One (Ayalo n) towards Jerusalem. Pass the exit to Ben Gurion airport and take the next exit signposted Petah Tiqwa, Ramla, Lod Route 40 to the T junction with Route 44, signposted Bet Shemesh, Lod. Turn right and follow Route 44 towards Lod until the first set of tr affic lights. Turn right towards Ramla (Ramleh) Prison. Before you reach the prison, Ramleh War Cemetery is signposted to the right along a minor road/track. Turn right and follow the minor road/track for about 200 metres and the cemetery is to be found o n the right.
Historical Notes.This war cemetery dates from the 1914-18 War, when Ramleh was occupied on the 1st November 1917 by the 1st Australian L ight Horse Brigade. During the 1939-45 war the cemetery was used for burials by various British General Hospitals. There are now over 3,500 1914-18 and 1000 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery. The cemetery covers an area of 23,895 square metres and the Commonwealth section is enclosed by a stone wall
Mombasa (Mbaraki) Cemetery.Mombasa is an island city off the Kenya coast, and Mombasa (Mbaraki) Cemetery is a large civil cemetery which co ntains war graves plots as well as scattered war graves. The cemetery is located on the southern side of Mombasa island, on Mbaraki road. En tering Mombasa via the vehicle ferry at the end of Nyerere Avenue, take the second left turn into Mbaraki road. The road continues straight for a distance before bending round to the right. The large civil cemetery is on the right hand side of the road on the inside of the curve. The cemetery fronts directly onto the road, from which the Cross of Sacrifice by the Second World War graves plot can easily be seen.
Historical Notes.The Mombasa (Mbaraki) Cemetery also contains war graves of 1914-20, scattered on either side of the path running from n orth to south. Near an old Arab fort at Mombasa is the "Wavell Memorial" unveiled in 1922 to the dead of the Arab Rifles.
Malta Memorial.The Malta Memorial is situated in the area of Floriana and is easily identified by the golden Eagle which surmounts the colu mn. It stands outside the King's Gate., the main entrance to Valetta. The column stands on a circular base around which the names are commemorated on bronze panels. A bronze panel at the base of the column itself bears the following inscription: OVER T HESE AND NEIGHBOURING LANDS AND SEAS THE AIRMEN WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED HERE FELL IN RAID OR SORTIE AND HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE. MALTA GIBRALTAR MEDITERRANEAN ADRIATIC TUNISIA SICILY ITALY YUGOSLAVIA AUTRIA PROPOSITI INSULA TENAX TENACES VIROS COMMEMORAT. The latin epigram may be rendered in English as: AN ISLAND RESOLUTE OF PURPOSE REMEMBERS RESOLUTE MEN.
Apeldoorn (Ugchelen-Heidehof) General Cemetery.Apeldoorn is a town about 40 kilometres east of Amersfoort and 24 kilometres north of Arnhem . Ugchelen, where the cemetery is situated, is about 5 kilometres south of Apeldoorn. The General Cemetery is east of the village, on the road to Beekbergen. The Commonwealth plot is on the northwestern side of the entrance.
Historical Notes.The commonwealth plot was created in 1942 for the burial of allied casualties. A number of those buried there were subs equently moved to other cemeteries. There are now over fifty 1939-45 war casualties buried in this cemetery.
Bergen General Cemetery.Bergen is on the coast 6 kilometres northwest of Alkmaar and 43 kilometres north-north-west of Amsterdam, and li es 3 kilometres west of the main Alkmaar-Den Helder road. The cemetery is on the northeastern outskirts of Bergen, in the road known as Kerkedijk. The British plots are in the southeastern part of the cemetery.
Hoogkerk (Kerkstraat) General Cemetery.The CWGC give no directions to this cemetery or historical information.
Oosterhesselen (Geesbrug) General Cemetery.Oosterhesselen is about 37 kilometres south-south-east of Assen and 12 kilometres north of Co evorden. Geesbrug is a village 8 kilometres southwest of Oosterhesselen. The cemetery is on the northeastern outskirts of the village and on the northern side of the road to Zwinderen.
Historical Notes.No historical information is given by the CWGC.
Rotterdam (Crooswijk) General Cemetery.Rotterdam lies 23 kilometres southeast of the Hague and 52 kilometres southwest of Utrecht. Crooswijk is a district east of the.centre of the city. The address of the cemetery is Algemene Begraafplaats, Kirkoflaan 5, Rotterdam.
Historical NotesRotterdam General Cemetery (South Holland) at Crooswijk belongs to the Town Council. There is one British, 23 French and 14 German war graves.
Texel (Den Burg) Cemetery.Texel is one of the West Fresian islands, about 90 kilometres north of Haarlem. Den Burg is its main town.. Te xel is reached by boat from Den Helder. The cemetery is about 400 metres from the centre of Den Burg, and contains a special war graves plot, Plot K.
Uden War Cemetery.Uden is a town on the main road between Eindhoven and Nijmegen. The War Cemetery is 350 metres from the centre of the town, on the Nijmegen road at the junction with the road to Zeeland. The cemetery is also signposted on the N265 Uden-Eindhoven.
Historical Notes.In the earlier years of the 1939-45 war British and Allied servicemen were buried in the garden of the parish priest, w hich adjoined the Roman Catholic Cemetery. Later it became necessary to provide another burial ground and in 1943 the municipality acquired for this purpose the Roman Catholic Cemetery, unused since about 1918. The cemetery is enclosed by the high brick w all originally built around the old church and churchyard (the church was burnt down in the 1870's and a new one built elsewhere in the town). After the war more than 100 graves from the garden of the parish priest, and also a number o f isolated graves f rom various parts of the commune, were moved into this cemetery.
Port of Spain
Port of Spain (St. James) Military Cemetery.Port of Spain is on the north side of the western shore of the Island, in the county of St. Geo rge. The Military Cemetery lies opposite the Old Yellow Fever Cemetery, on a road branching from the left hand side of Long Circular Road, near the barracks in the far corner of St. James Military Camp.
Historical Notes.None available.
Singapore Memorial.The Singapore Memorial stands in the Kranji War Cemetery on Singapore Island. The Cemetery is 22 kilometres north of the city of Singapore on the north side of the island overlooking the Straits of Johore. It is just off the Singapore-Johore road (Woodlands road) at milestone 13 and there is a short approach road from the main road. The cemetery is known locally as Kranji Memorial, and one must be sure of the address before taking a taxi, as many taxi drivers do not know the cemetery. There are bus stops on the main road facing the cemetery and an MRT terminal.is under construction a short distance from the cemetery.
Historical Notes.The Singapore Memorial bears on its columns the names of more than 24,000 soldiers and airmen of the British Commonweal th and Empire who have no known grave. The central avenue of the cemetery rises gently from the Stone of Remembrance, near the entrance, to the Cross of Sacrifice, beyond which flights of steps lead to a terrace on top of the hill on which the Memor ial stands. Twelve wide columns bear the name panels and support a flat roof. In the centre, rising through the roof to a height of 24 metres, is a great pylon surmounted by a star. Inscribed in English on a curved panel at the foot of this pylon are thes e words: 1939-1945 ON THE WALLS OF THIS MEMORIAL ARE RECORDED THE NAMES OF TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND SOLDIERS AND AIRMEN OF MANY RACES UNITED IN SERVICE TO THE BRITISH CROWN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN MALAYA AND NEIGHBOURING LANDS AND SEAS AND IN THE AIR OVER SOUTHERN AND EASTERN ASIA AND THE PACIFIC BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE CUSTOMARY RITES ACCORDED TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH. An additional inscription , "THEY DIED FOR ALL FREE MEN" is engraved in Hindi, Urdu, Gurmukhi, Chinese, and Malay.
Johannesburg (West Park) Cemetery.Johannesburg (West Park) Cemetery is located 10 kilometres north-west of Johannesburg on D.F.Malan Drive.
Historical Notes.The cemetery is controlled by the Johannesburg Municipality and is the largest cemetery in this city. The majority of t he war graves are concentrated in the Military Allotment in the northwestern sector of the cemetery. A platform feature in gold coloured facing brick along the western boundary of the Military Section holds the Cross of Sacrifice. Behind the Cross, the lo w western wall of the platform contains the cremation memorial tablets.
The Runnymede Memorial.This Memorial overlooks the River Thames on Cooper's Hill at Englefield Green, between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4 miles from Windsor.
Historical Notes..The Runnymede Memorial commemorates all those who have no known grave.
OtherCemeteries in the UK.Directions are not given here for the cemeteries in the United Kingdom where our colleagues who died during World War 2 are buried, as it is not anticipated that there should be any difficulty in locating these cemeteries.
Clickhere to return to Page One
Clickhere to return to Home Page.